Jason MacMillan


3D Max Work


         3D Object Design Brief 3 report





Brief

For the brief we were given three different choices which were creating a company logo, recreating contemporary art and designing a 3D video game object. I selected the video game object because I thought it would be the most interesting one out of the three. We were allowed to either choose Mario or another game that we enjoy. I decided to stay with Mario since I have been a fan of the game series for a long time.


Ideas
I started my idea process by drawing Mario abilities that were my favourite, most of these abilities were chosen for their purpose and not their look. I then decided that it would be much better if I mixed my favourite abilities and then design my own, instead of giving an ability that already exists a new look. My ideas for a mixed ability contained the fire flower, ice flower, Mario’s flying hat, double cherry and mushroom. I first chose to mix the fire flower and flying hat to give Mario a dragon ability. Then I found out that there is already a dragon ability, so I had to go back to my drawing board. After some thought I chose the abilities of fire flower and double cherry to create the fire cherries.

Design process


I started designing the cherries on 3Ds Max first since they would be the easiest aspect of the design. They just consisted of two spheres which I then applied a marble material to later to give them a more realistic look. I then used the bend tool to bend the cylinder to create the stems of the leaf. The next tool I used was the line tool to create the leaf of the cherries. After I added all these objects together, I added material colours to them. My final touch was adding the eyes to the cherries.


Evaluation
I think the whole design process went very well, I am happy with the build up and with the final outcome. The only thing I would change is the realism of the leaf and cherries.





Jason MacMillan

Comments

Popular Posts